Monday, May 17, 2010

Film Review | Just Wright



It was definitely a movie watching weekend for me. I wanted to see Just Wright because it seemed like a good romantic comedy. You can only do but so much with romantic comedies, so while the story is similar to others, I was expecting something that would make laugh. While there were some laughs, I have to say that I was disappointed by the film. Hit the jump for the full review.

Grade: D+

Queen Latifah has acted in other films before. The most recent romantic comedy that I think of is Last Holiday with L. L. Cool J. I loved that movie, so I was expecting great things from Just Wright. However, while Queen Latifah has experience with acting in comedy films, I don't think that they are Commons' forte. The two never really gelled to me. The chemistry was always a little weird. It felt a lot like both actors were just reading their lines, not acting. The feeling wasn't in it.

The film has a small love triangle plot. However, the main characters fall in love and yada yada yada. The film suffers because some scenes were unnecessary or played up too much; others could have benefited from more information. The biggest issue with the film is that there is little closure at the end. The two just end up together. It felt a little bit rushed by the end as well.

Overall, the film had potential, but it never reached it. I would suggest that you wait for Just Wright to be on television for free. It has a bit of a TV movie feel to it anyway. No need to see this one in theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good.