Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cartoon Chatter | Spongebob Squarepants


Sooner or later, readers, I would have to bring SpongeBob into my weekly chatter. Like Ren & Stimpy, SpongeBob SquarePants is a cartoon you either love or hate. There if often very little middle-ground. I know that there are those of you who are not attracted to yellow, porous, driver's test failing, square pants wearing, snail owning, karate practicing sponges that live in pineapples under the sea, but the cartoon is quite entertaining and very imaginative. Even I must admit that some sketches do not appeal to me (Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy, you won't find me watching you), but overall SpongeBob is a diverse and hilarious distraction from the ordinary.

Spongebob even has a cast of well-developed and diverse characters. Many minor characters, like Mr. Krab's daughter Pearl, make reappearances in later episodes. Of course, the yellow sponge for whom the show is named always makes a great entrance and continues to astound you with his random behaviors.

There are several recurring themes throughout the series such as SpongeBob's obsession with jellyfishing. The show almost makes them look so cute, but then they electrocute a character and they lose that cuddly feel. Perhaps it is the storytelling that I enjoy most in SpongeBob. If it weren't for the storytelling, I'm pretty certain that the cartoon wouldn't last for more than 10 years like it has. I'm not certain how much longer it will continue, but SpongeBob will always be a favorite of mine.

Image belongs to Viacom and Stephen Hillenburg

1 comment:

Tell me something good.