Sunday, November 7, 2010

Film Review | Megamind

I am always excited to see cartoon films. If you have read my blog for a while, you'll know that I generally see most animated feature-length films while they are still in theaters. Since Harry Potter and Tangled are coming out later this month, I expected Megamind to be a decent film for a lazy Sunday afternoon to tide me over until these come out. To be honest with you, I am not a huge fan of 3D, so I watched Megamind in good, old-fashioned 2D and I enjoyed the whole thing. Hit the jump for the full review (with spoilers).


Grade: B

Megamind begins at the end of the tale. It starts showing the film's namesake falling through the air. To bring the audience up to speed, Megamind narrates the film back to the very beginning of his fateful life. It goes through why he became evil and the storyline was fairly great. Will Ferrell did a great job of bringing Megamind to life and you actually enjoy how silly he is, instead of evil.

However, B. (from iCantbelieveable) pointed out that the storyline is one that has been around for some time. It highlights a "bad" guy that transforms into a "good" guy and gets the girl. Yet I have to say that despite the tired idea behind the film, Dreamworks brought the story to life in a new way.


The best thing about the film besides the fun music are the graphics. Even without watching the film in 3D, it looks amazing! There are all kinds of things to give your eyes a surprise overload. The colors pop, the animation is fluid, and the voices match so well. It was an extremely well-presented film and one that is good for both kids and parents. If anything, the silliness of Megamind will keep you laughing (and you will laugh many times throughout the film).


So, if you have some extra money, some extra time and a hankering for a fun-filled animated feature film, then get out to your local theatre to watch Megamind. I think that you'll enjoy it. If you have kids, it's a plus because they will enjoy it too. Let me know if you watch it and what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good.